Are you having insane cravings before your period that are completely derailing your healthy eating progress? I have something for you! This is a gluten free magnesium packed PMS Brownie recipe that you need to keep in the house the week before your period.
As always, make sure you talk to your regulated healthcare practitioner before starting any new dietary changes to make sure they are right for you.
When PMS hits, you’re more likely to crave something chocolately and sweet. I know my chocolate cupboard gets cleared out when I am not in control of my hormones. I wanted you to haves something that satisfied your cravings and actually gave your body a boost.
Dark chocolate is an amazing superfood packed with magnesium. Magnesium helps us feel calm and relaxed, it also helps with muscle spasms when you’re cramping. Magnesium levels get depleted during your period so we want to replenish these ASAP.
These brownies also contain hazelnuts which are packed with boron, an anti-inflammatory nutrient that has been shown to reduce severity and duration of menstrual cramps.
Now let’s bake away those bad periods with this yummy treat!
Gluten-free hazelnut PMS brownies
Makes 12 brownies
2/3 cup chopped 70% cacao dark chocolate
5 Tbsp coconut oil
1/3 cup maple syrup
2/3 cup almond flour
2 Tbsp unsweetened cacao powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
1 tsp of hazelnut extract
3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper or spray with coconut oil.
2. In a small saucepan, melt chocolate and oil over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, and maple syrup until mixed well. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: almond flour, cacao, baking soda, and salt.
4. Whisk the mixture into the saucepan of the melted chocolate until it’s smooth. Stir in the hazelnut extract. Stir in the dry ingredients and mix until fully combined, then fold in the chopped hazelnuts. Pour the batter into your brownie pan and smooth the surface.
5. Bake at 350 degrees 25 minutes, or until edges are set and the center is still slightly underdone. (The center will set as it cools.) Slice into squares and serve.
Inspiration from: https://www.wellandgood.com/